The Nigerian military said “beyond the Sambisa forest,” the Boko Haram sect had no known base within Nigeria.
 
The head of the nation's counter-insurgency operation in the North East (theatre commander of operation Lafiya Dole), Major general Lucky Irabor, said this at a press conference in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

He said the Boko Haram insurgents had been uprooted from their last known stronghold, Mallam Fatori, on September 27, 2016.

Irabor said, “We have captured Boko Haram’s last known strongholds of Abadam and Mallam Fatori, and we are now consolidating our hold.”

Irabor said there was an ongoing battle to uproot the insurgents from the Sambisa Forest.