No fewer than 32 people have been ambushed and killed in Arikya-Soni , Nasarawa State by persons suspected to be Fulani herdsmen.
It was gathered that the victims were returning from their farms on Saturday evening when the herdmen struck .
The PUNCH learnt from a source who did not want his name in print that the “32 dead people were given a mass burial at Umme .”
A survivor, Habibu Mohammed, said the herdsmen killed his parents and made away with nine motorcycles, including one belonging to him.
Another survivor, Saratu Mustapha, who is receiving treatment at the Ashangbo Clinic in Arugbadu, said her husband and sister were among those killed.
A lawmaker representing Nasarawa Eggon East in the state House of Assembly, Mohammed Muluku, who led journalists to the scene, lamented the killings and appealed to Federal Government to, as a matter of urgency, establish a permanent military base in the area to avert future attacks .
He said he had personally complained about incessant attacks on his people to the state government.
The Public Relations Officer of the state police command , Umaru Numa, who confirmed the incident was silent on the death toll. But he said investigation was in progress.
Meanwhile investigations have revealed that the Federal Government has not abandoned the peace talks with the members of the Boko Haram for the release of the abducted Chibok school girls.
A source, who confided in one of our correspondents, said on Sunday that the government was not dwelling on whether there was a ceasefire or not, but determined take steps that could yield the expected results.
The source, who is close to an office strategic to the operations of the Federal Government, said that it would not be correct to dismiss the peace talks with the Boko Haram because of the attacks by Boko Haram that marred the process.
He said it was the belief in some circles that while the government was talking to Boko Haram members, others who did not agree with the discussions carried out the attacks.
The source made a reference to the recent release of 125 suspected insurgents by the authorities of the 7 Div. of the Nigerian Army as among the efforts being made by the government. Forty two had earlier been freed.
Those who regained their freedom were absolved of complicity in the activities of the sect.
The source said, “The government and indeed the security agencies are working; there are a lot of activities going on that we may not know.
“I think the release of the 125 suspects and the earlier 42 were not for nothing.”