Russia on Monday morning launched a missile attack on a shopping centre in the Ukrainian city of Kremenchuk, leaving dozens of people dead and others injured.

According to the police, injured survivors are being carried out by rescue workers out of the ruins of the affected building in the city, Ukrainian authorities reports.

As at the time of the strike, more than 1,000 people were inside the building Ukraine’s president, Volodoymyr Zelenskiy, said.

Sources confirmed that it was an ugly scene which demanded the presence of the emergency crew that went in search for victims.

They succeeded in and putting out fires, which was triggered after images from the scene showed giant plumes of black smoke and flames.

The head of Ukraine’s state emergency service, Serhiy Kruk who reacted to the situation shared his thoughts on the situation.

While speaking at 2am local time on Tuesday, he said: “We continue to work at the site of the rocket attack on the shopping centre in Kremenchuk. The main tasks currently performed by rescuers are to carry out rescue operations, dismantle debris and eliminate fires. So far, 16 people have been killed and 59 injured, 25 of whom have been hospitalised.”