A shootout which involved four people suspected of assassinating Haiti’s President Jovenel Moïse has taken place with the security forces, leaving the four of them dead.

While some remaining suspects are thought to be still at large in the nation’s capital Port-au-Prince, two others have been detained.

Since Moise was announced dead on Wednesday, security forces, especially the police have been working hard to curb the situation. Police chief Leon Charles has made comments in regards to the situation.

Charles said, “They will be killed or captured,” when attackers stormed their home early on Wednesday, Mr Moïse, was shot dead, and his wife was injured.

The attack on the home of the president was a cruel one. There were multiple bullets, reportedly shot at his residence and his bedroom were ransacked.

Mr. Moïse’s wife, Martine is currently in a critical condition after which was flown to Florida for treatment.

According to Mr Charles said in a televised statement late on Wednesday. “Four mercenaries were killed [and] two were intercepted under our control,”

“Three policemen who had been taken hostage have been recovered.”

He also said, “We blocked [the suspects] en route as they left the scene of the crime,”

“Since then, we have been battling with them.”