The Lagos Rapid Response Squad on Thursday evening saved a 17-year-old boy from jumping into Lagoon from the Third Mainland Bridge. 

The boy, a sickler who identified himself as Lanre is a secondary school leaver and the second born of four children.

According to RRS rider on regular patrol of the Third Mainland Bridge, a roving mechanic drew their attention to a lone teenager, standing on the bridge and looking into the Lagoon curiously.

On getting to the scene, he was standing on the crash barrier, ready to dive into Lagoon before he was held in the legs by the RRS officials and taken to RRS headquarters for counselling and further investigations.

Lanre, after receiving counselling from the Commander, RRS, Assistant Commissioner of Police, ACP Olatunji Disu, disclosed that he decided to jump into the Lagoon after losing N6, 000:00 and a mobile phone to Area Boys in Lagos Island.

He explained that his mother had given him N6, 000:00 at about 4:00 p.m. to get food stuffs at Ita Faaji Market, when some miscreants collected his phone and the money from him.  

“I felt depressed after losing the N6, 000:00 and phone to the five boys who waylaid me on my way to the market. I couldn’t summon the courage to go back home to confront my mum that I lost the money she gave me to purchase food stuffs at Ita Faaji. I don’t know those guys and I have never seen them before”, he stated.

Lanre’s mother, who is in her mid – 50’s said that she has been looking for him for couple of hours after sending him on errand. “I have searched everywhere, his friends’ and the entire neighbourhood. I was shocked to learn that he has attempted suicide by jumping into the Lagoon. He has just finished his secondary school. He went to Lagos City College. I don’t know why he wanted to commit suicide”.

He is a sickler but he has never been admitted in a hospital before. He is healthy. If I didn’t tell you, you won’t know. He is athletic and doing just fine. His father has travelled overseas and re-married. We are doing fine and okay with our lives.

If he had returned home to tell me what happened, the worst I could have done was to slap him and threatened him to return my money for me.
I know I have been an exceptional mother to the four of them. I have never allowed them to miss their father and they are doing quite well in their studies”, she added.

Lanre was subsequently released to his mother at the RRS Headquarters in Alausa. They are to report back next wee