President Donald Trump has refused to take part in a virtual debate with Joe Biden after organisers announced the new format in the wake of the president’s coronavirus diagnosis.

As Mr Trump continues to recover from the disease in isolation at the White House, the Commission on Presidential Debates said the decision had been taken “in order to protect the health and safety of all involved”.

The commission said the candidates would “participate from separate remote locations” during the October 15 debate while the participants and moderator remain in Miami, Florida.

But Mr Trump has said he will not take part in the debate if it is held virtually.

In an interview with Fox Business on Thursday, the US president said the arrangement is “not acceptable to us”. He also accused moderators of trying to protect Mr Biden.

Evening Standard