A press conference on Nigerian Broadcasting Awards has taken place at the Silverbird Cinemas, 3rd Floor, Cinema Hall 1, 133, Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island Lagos.
The event which had executives and important personalities of the organisation, was organized by the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON), an umbrella body for all broadcast media outfits, both public and private electronic media across the country.
The event kicked off with the Chairman, Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria, Mr. John Ugbe, on behalf of the central working committee made address before unveiling the logo and announcement to the public concerning the process of The Nigerian Broadcasting Awards (TNBA) for the year 2022.
Going memory lane on the history and formation of the organisation, it was revealed that BON came to be as a result of the broadcast media houses in the country, coming together to cover the All Africa Games that was staged in Nigeria in 1973.
Registered by the Corporate Affairs Commission, as the nation’s umbrella Union of Terrestrial Radio, Television (TV), Direct-To-Home (DTH) Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) and Multimedia Distribution System (MMDS), BON was also established in 1988 to serve as the broad coalition of public and private broadcast stations.
THE NIGERIAN BROADCASTING AWARDS (TNBA)
The Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria has organised The Nigerian Broadcasting Awards (TNBA) to recognise and reward excellence in the Broadcast Media Industry.
According to the organisers, the aim of The Nigeria Broadcasting Awards is to embody international awards for: outstanding achievement in Television and distinguished achievement and meritorious service in broadcasting among others.
BON at its 76th General Assembly approved the composition of the Awards Steering Committee drawn from public and private broadcast media houses.
The steering committee is headed by Mr. Guy Murray-Bruce, President of Silverbird Group.
BON has also appointed Strategic Outcomes Limited as the Consultant to the Committee, while the Award ceremony is scheduled to hold in October this year.
Below are the Award Categories.
- Radio station/Best Television Station of the Year
- Best Radio station/Best Television-News in English
- Best Radio station/Best Television- “Indigenous language”
- Best Radio/Best Television station-original production “English”
- Best Radio/Best Television station-original production “Indigenous language”
- Best Radio Best Television Station in Documentary/Feature “Indigenous language”
- Best Radio/Best Television Station-Documentary/Feature “Indigenous language”
- Best Radio/Best Television Show-English
- Best Radio/Best Television Show-Indigenous language
- Newscaster of the year-Radio/Television
- Reporter of the Year-Radio/Television
- Presenter of the Year- Radio/Television
- Special contributions to the Broadcast Industry
Below are photos of the president, executives and some guests who were present at the event.