Joshua Happy To Come Home With Pulev Fight In London

Anthony Joshua said he felt “honoured” to be topping the bill in the first professional boxing event at the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium after it was announced he would defend his world heavyweight titles at the north London football ground against Kubrat Pulev on June 20.

Joshua, 30, regained the WBA, IBF and WBO titles with a unanimous points win over Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia in December.

That victory saw the Londoner avenge the first defeat of his professional career, in New York last June.

The prospects for a much-anticipated all-British “superfight” between Joshua and Tyson Fury suffered a setback when American Deontay Wilder said he would trigger a clause in his contract for a third meeting with Fury, the new WBC heavyweight champion.

Bulgarian boxer Pulev has won 28 of 29 bouts, with his only loss coming in a world title defeat by Wladimir Klitschko back in 2014.

Pulev, who is the mandatory challenger for Joshua’s IBF title, pulled out of a scheduled meeting with the Briton in 2017 due to injury.

Fury stopped Wilder in the seventh round of their heavyweight title rematch in Las Vegas last week – the American’s first defeat of his career – after a draw between the two boxers in 2018.

Hearn responded by saying Joshua’s camp would do “everything we can” to bring about a fight with Fury.

The 90,000-capacity Wembley Stadium could stage a Joshua-Fury bout but it might yet take place overseas for financial reasons, with Saudi Arabia reported to be a potential venue.