Chinese doctors, nurses and medical experts are expected to arrive in Nigeria in a few days to assist in the fight against COVID-19.
This new development as confirmed by The Punch was disclosed by the Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, on Friday, during a briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja.
As the global figure also surpasses million mark, the total number of confirmed cases in Nigeria so far, is 210.
Speaking on the situation and more measures to be implored, he said Nigeria was also exploring the possibility of producing some medical equipment after key stakeholders met in Abuja on Thursday.
He also revealed that efforts to contain COVID-19 in Nigeria were being limited by finance, manpower and other indices despite the support from government and individuals.
Ehanire said, “The global number has crossed one million mark, barely three months after the first cases were first reported in Wuhan, China. It is an indication that it is a public health challenge that we must not take lightly.”
He continued, “We are already seeing what may be the indication of community transmission, in that 30 per cent of the cases have incomplete epidemiological information. 51 per cent are imported cases and 19 per cent are through contacts of known cases.