President Muhammadu Buhari in his live broadcast this evening announced movement restriction in the Federal Capital Territory Abuja, Lagos and Ogun State as one of the steps to contain COVID-19.
In his speech, Buhari said, “As I mentioned earlier, as at this morning we had ninety-seven confirmed cases. Majority of these are in Lagos and Abuja. All the confirmed cases are getting the necessary medical care.
- Our agencies are currently working hard to identify cases and people these patients have been in contact with.
- The few confirmed cases outside Lagos and Abuja are linked to persons who have travelled from these centres.
- We are therefore working to ensure such inter state and intercity movements are restricted to prevent further spread.
- Based on the advice of the Federal Ministry of Health and the NCDC, I am directing the cessation of all movements in Lagos and the FCT for an initial period of 14 days with effect from 11pm on Monday, 30th March 2020. This restriction will also apply to Ogun State due to its close proximity to Lagos and the high traffic between the two States.
- All citizens in these areas are to stay in their homes. Travel to or from other states should be postponed. All businesses and offices within these locations should be fully closed during this period.
- The Governors of Lagos and Ogun States as well as the Minister of the FCT have been notified. Furthermore, heads of security and intelligence agencies have also been briefed.
- We will use this containment period to identify, trace and isolate all individuals that have come into contact with confirmed cases. We will ensure the treatment of confirmed cases while restricting further spread to other States.
- This order does not apply to hospitals and all related medical establishments as well as organizations in health care related manufacturing and distribution.