Cable News Network (CNN) has fired US anchor Chris Cuomo for the help he gave his brother, ex-New York governor Andrew Cuomo.

The dismissal of Chris came while Andrew was battling harassment allegations, BBC reports.

CNN also claimed that additional information had emerged over the extent of Chris Cuomo’s involvement in his older brother’s defence.

Going memory on his case, Andrew resigned in August after prosecutors said he had harassed staff.

Meanwhile, Chris who has not been happy with his sudden discharge from the television channel, said in a statement that he was disappointed and it was “not how I want my time at CNN to end”.

The 51-year-old who is known to be one of the most recognisable news presenters, had worked for the network since 2013 and attained the feat of becoming the most recently leading CNN’s coverage of the 2020 US presidential election.

So far, a CNN statement which was recently released said  a “respected law firm” had been hired to investigate Chris Cuomo’s efforts to help his politician brother fight allegations of sexual harassment. But while that review was happening, “new information has come to light” leading to the network terminating his contract, “effective immediately”.

Reports also revealed that Chris had already been suspended by CNN on Tuesday after the extent of his behind-the-scenes efforts to help with the scandal were disclosed.

Hearing from Chris, and the reasons for his actions, the vibrant journalist felt there should be a justification for his act, while claiming he considered a member of his family first and the job second.

But at that time, the network said the advice he offered to his brother was a breach of journalistic ethics after appreciating the unique position of the journalist.

On the side of the New York Attorney General Letitia James, documents released on Monday showed that the younger Cuomo continuously pressed the governor’s staff to let him play a larger role in his brother’s defence.

“You need to trust me,” he texted Melissa DeRosa, his brother’s secretary, in March, adding: “We are making mistakes we can’t afford.”

He also pledged to contact other US media outlets to try and learn of other allegations that were forthcoming.