The first major prosecution of suspects linked to the Boko Haram conflict in closed-door trials at a military base is about to take place.
 
The defendants have been detained since the start of the Islamist insurgency in the country’s northeast in 2009.
 
The Justice Ministry announced last month that some 1, 670 detainees would go on trial at a civilian court at a military base in Kainji, in the central state of Niger.
 
A further 651 others held at the Giwa Barracks in the capital of the north eastern state of Borno, Maiduguri, would be tried.

Menawhile, the Nigerian army says its troops killed three Boko Haram cattle rustlers at Mairari Village in Monguno Local Government Area of Borno.
 
Colonel Timothy Antigha, the Deputy Director Army Public Relations, eight Task Force Division, disclosed this in a statement today in Maiduguri.
 
Antigha said that the troops on Sunday ambushed the insurgents cattle rustling syndicate while trying to cross into Maiduguri.
 
Antigha disclosed that several other insurgents escaped with gunshot wounds while one soldier sustained injuries in the encounter.