Chief Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola, often referred to as M. K. O. Abiola, ran for the presidency in 1993, and is widely regarded as the presumed winner of the inconclusive election since no official final results were announced till date.
1. June 12, 1993 Presidential election that was won by M.K.O Abiola was the freest and fairest election that was conducted in Nigeria.
2. There was no violence in the country during the elections, even when it was a Muslim-Muslim ticket, MKO and his running mate was a Muslim which Christians campaigned for him, MKO also defeated his opponent, Bashir Tofa of the National Republican Convention in Kano.
3. There was no Christian-Muslim Dichotomy, people voted for issues that affected them and not sentiments
4. No Hausa or Fulani politicians featured on the tickets
5. The election of June 12 was annulled for no reason.
6. If they had allowed that election result to stand, the issues of religion and ethnicity factors in our politics today will presumably not be as deep-rooted as they are right now.
7. Abiola declared himself president in 1994 as the lawful president of Nigeria
In today’s politics, the country should look out for:
i. the candidates that are the best the country -looking out for people who have always been passionate and involved in their communities as these people have first-hand experience in listening to the grassroots.
ii. Passion for the betterment of the fatherland not ethnic and religious factors.
iii. Nigerians are the make this nation not the politicians.
iv. Our country should not be deceived by those factors that divide us – which are tools used were used first by the colonial masters and now our politicians to make us forget that what brings us together is more than what divides us.
v. Nigerians should talk about issues that concern us not issues that will divide us by using people to fight during the election.
vi. If and when we talk together as one voice and actively push the "right" candidates, nothing else will matter but Nigeria for Nigerians' sake.