The Nigerian army has been able to recover some documents in some hideouts of members of Boko Haram that suggest their sponsors.
The commander, Operation ‘Lafiya Dole,’ Maj.-Gen. Yushau Abubakar, gave this hint in Maiduguri, adding, “We searched the houses of suspects and certain items that we recovered in the vicinity gave us some clues.
He stated that investigation had already begun into some names of suspected Boko Haram sponsors in connection with recent suicide bombings in the Maiduguri and plan to expose them soon is underway.
“Investigation on those that we suspect are either participating or hiding, fueling or conniving with those that carried out those acts is ongoing,” Maj. Gen. Yushau Abubakar told journalists on sunday. “They will be exposed in due course.”
At least 10 people were killed and 39 others wounded when four suicide bombers detonated themselves outside a mosque Thursday night in the Sajeri area of Maiduguri. The attackers were young girls and suspected Boko Haram terrorists, Nigeria’s Defense Headquarters in Abuja said Friday. The Nigerian military has since launched a probe into people believed to be sponsoring the attacks.
At least 117 people were killed in a wave of violence in Maiduguri on Sept. 20,
Abubakar, commander of “Operation Lafiya Dole,” which means “Peace By Force, said “the recent spate of attacks was aimed at diverting the Nigerian army from achieving its goal of defeating Boko Haram before the end of the year”. He urged Nigerian citizens to report any suspicious movement within the region to security agents immediately.
“We are doing as much as we could to ensure that we completely eradicate the insurgents as quickly as possible, because we are aware of the timeline within which to complete the task,” he said on sunday. “I want to assure all that for every second that passes, we get more committed to fighting the insurgents; we cannot be deterred.”