Abuja – Ogun State Police have arrested a landlord for allegedly setting his tenant's 3-year-old son alight in the Owode LGA of the state, a news agency reports.

The man, Joseph Olaleye (65), is reported to have been cooking on Monday afternoon when his stove allegedly caught fire.

In a panic the man threw the the stove into the corridor where the victim, Abdullahi Razak, was playing with some neighbourhood friends. The boy caught alight as a result.

Having heard the boy's screams, other tenant's rushed the infant to a nearby hospital where he subsequently died as a result of his injuries.

The landlord was said to have remained indoors, trying to put out the fire in his room.

The boy's father, Olalekan, who worked as a Lotto agent, told news correspondents that although he had forgiven his landlord, it annoyed him that the suspect did not help the boy, but concentrated on his burning room.

He said, "I was not at home. I was called on the phone, and when I arrived, my son had died. I did not have any quarrel with the landlord.

Muyiwa Adejobi, PR Officer for the Ogun State Police, confirmed the incident and said that Olaleye had been arrested following a report being filed.

– Punch