Tyson Fury will “take on another fight” before a rematch with WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder, says the governing body’s president.
A second fight has been anticipated since their first meeting in December, in which Wilder retained his belt after an enthralling draw in Los Angeles.
Last week, WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman said he was “confident” the fight would take place.
But on Tuesday, Sulaiman said the rematch would be “at a later date”.
Last week, Britain’s Fury, 29, signed a lucrative deal with US broadcaster ESPN and will receive a reported fee of £80m for five fights.
It could make future negotiations with American Wilder more difficult, given he is aligned with the Showtime network.