After evacuating 500 Nigerians from South Africa last month, following xenophobic attacks on them and other Africans, the Federal Government of Nigeria has put a halt to evacuation at the moment.

Reports from Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Thursday, revealed that the violence that gave rise to the evacuation had abated. It added that Nigerians in South Africa were, however, free to return home.

Despite this new development, about 600 Nigerians have registered for evacuation with the Nigerian High Commission in South Africa and are said to be eager to return home.

In another development, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman, Ferdinand Nwonye, said in Abuja on Thursday, that normalcy had been restored in South Africa with Nigeria signing about 32 agreements, including a 10-year visa policy with Pretoria to advance bilateral relations during the state visit by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Speaking further, he stated that, “People can come back, but normalcy has been restored. What the Air Peace Airline did was on humanitarian grounds. The issue of evacuation does not arise anymore because there is no situation warranting evacuation.’’

Source: Punch