By Philip Atume
The Federal Government has rolled out plans to handle the cases of 2,541 suspected Boko Haram members detained at Wawa barracks in Kainji, Niger State and Maiduguri Prison in Borno State.
The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN) stated that the arraignment would begin on Monday, October 9, 2017.
Abubakar Malami also stated that a special prosecution arrangement already put in place would commence the trial of 1,670 of the detainees in Wawa Barracks, in October.
A statement issued yesterday by the special adviser on media and publicity to the AGF, Comrade Salihu Othman Isah; he said the justice minister had approved a list of prosecutors to handle the cases.
He also said that the Legal Aid Council had equally agreed to provide counsel to represent accused persons that cannot afford lawyers.
Salihu said so far, four judges have been designated by the chief judge of the Federal High Court to hear the cases at kainji.
He assured that the trial of those detained in Kainji would start first, then those detained in Maiduguri will follow.