Here it goes again. Attention has swiftly shifted from President Muhammadu Buhari’s health issue to the release of another 82 Chibok Schoolgirls by Boko Haram insurgence.
Thanks to the Swiss Government, the Red Cross International, NGOs for their prompt intervention, which has not only secured the release of schoolgirls but has gone a long way in stabilizing the political entity.
Over 200 Chibok schoolgirls were abducted on April 2014 out of which 21 of them were released in 2016 via same negotiation between the Department of State Service, the Swiss Government, Red Cross and the terrorists.
With this, about 113 of these girls are still with the Boko Haram whose major hideouts, the Sambisa Forest is believed to have been captured by the Nigerian troops.
Last week, the Nigerian Air Force reported to have injured the leader of the dreaded Islamic Sect, Abubakar Shekau and killed two of his lieutenants in an aerial raid.
Having cleared the remnants of the Boko Haram out of Sambisa, there have been regular outburst of suicide bombers in the Northeastern part of the country in the recent time.
Mostly, the suicide bombers are ladies and there are indications that many of them are Chibok Schoolgirls who have miserably loved to committing suicide than living.
As the public shifts attention to the misery that surrounds the release of another set of 82 Chibok girls, which of course will be a topic of debate for the next one week, many questions have become unanswered.
Where did Boko Haram keep these girls if Sambisa Forest had been taken over by the military and Shekau was wounded last week?
What is the role of the Swiss Government in the process of negotiation and why must the Federal Government swap the detained Boko Haram members for the girls at this time?
Prior to this fresh release, Vice President Osinbajo said that the government could not easily secure the release of the girls because of the factions in the Boko Haram. It raises another question; which of the factions has released the 82 girls?
On Saturday through a press statement, the Special Assistant to President Buhari on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu said that the president was elated to hear the release of the girls and would be meeting with them today in Abuja.
The president was last seeing Friday during the Jumat Service at the State House after about three weeks of incapacitation due to ill health.
There had been public agitation among Civil Society Organisations that the president should disclose his health status or face mass protest before May 29.
Besides, three ex-presidents, Olusegun Obasanjo, Ibrahim Babangida and Abdulsalami Abubakar met in Minna to discuss the way forward for the nation and the position of the ailing president in the scheme of things.
Also the Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka urged Buhari to address the nation on his state of health so as to stop manipulation that is currently going on in the government.
Instead of declaring his health status, the president had kept mute while the presidency had continually given varying reasons for Buhari’s absent at public functions.
However, the president who could not attend three consecutive Federal Executive Council meeting resurged last Friday for Jumat Service.
To the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the president is not sick, he just needs rest and will be working from home henceforth.
To Kaduna State Governor, Mallam El-Rufai, it is not compulsory that the president should preside over FEC meeting, the Vice President Osinbajo has constitutional role to do so in the absence of Buhari.
As Buhari waits to receive the Chibok girls today, the public is pulsating to see between the health of a president and the peaceful reunion of some Chibok Schoolgirls with their parents.