• By Kunle Awosiyan
    In
    Nov 14, 2017
    0 Comments
    survivor of Iran-Iraqi quake

    Thousands of Iranians have spent a second night outdoors in bitterly cold temperatures after a devastating earthquake hit the west of the country.

    The government is scrambling to get aid to the worst-hit area in the mountainous province of Kermanshah, where hundreds of homes were destroyed.

    More than 430 people were killed and about 7,000 injured when the quake hit near the Iran-Iraq border on Sunday.

    President Hassan Rouhani is due to visit the region but international media organisations are not being allowed to visit the quake-hit areas.

    Iranian state news agency Irna said 430 people had died in the country. In the more sparsely populated areas across the border in Iraq, nine people died and several hundred were injured.

    Mansoureh Bagheri, an Iran-based official with the Red Crescent Society, told the BBC about 12,000 residential buildings had "totally collapsed". She said now that rescue operations had ended, the priority was getting people into shelters as quickly as possible.

    Iranian state TV said thousands of survivors had spent another night in makeshift camps or in the open. Many whose homes were still intact were frightened of returning because of dozens of aftershocks.
    Iranians explain what they've lost

    "It is a very cold night... we need help. We need everything. The authorities should speed up their help," said one homeless young woman in Sarpol-e-Zahab, where most of the victims died.

    One aid agency said 70,000 people needed shelter and the UN said it was "ready to assist if required".

    An Iranian child receives medical at a temporary hospital in the city of Pole-Zahab in Kermanshah Province, Iran, 13 November 2017.Image copyrightEPA

    Maj Gen Mohammad Ali Jafari, head of the elite Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), said that the immediate needs were tents, water and food.

    "Newly constructed buildings... held up well, but the old houses built with earth were totally destroyed," he told state TV while visiting the affected region.
    Is it possible to predict a quake?

    The Iranian Red Crescent said many areas lacked water and electricity and that aid supplies were being hampered by blocked roads. Iranian army helicopters were taking part in the relief effort.

    About 30 Red Crescent teams are working in the earthquake zone, the official Irna news agency reported.

    A Kurdish TV channel was live on air during the earthquake
    Authorities said that more than 30,000 houses had been damaged and at least two villages completely destroyed.

    The 7.3-magnitude quake - the deadliest in the world this year - struck at 21:18 local time (18:18 GMT) about 30km (19 miles) south of Darbandikhan in Iraq, near the north-eastern border with Iran, the US Geological Survey (USGS) said.
    Tremors were felt as far away as Turkey, Israel and Kuwait.

    In Sarpol-e-Zahab on Monday a woman and her baby were pulled alive from rubble, Iranian media said.

    The town's main hospital was badly damaged and was struggling to treat hundreds of injured people, state TV reported.

    BBC

    LEAVE A REPLY

    0 Comments

    CAPTCHA
    This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
    Image CAPTCHA
    Enter the characters shown in the image.
    Refresh Type the characters you see in this picture. Type the characters you see in the picture; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.  Switch to audio verification.
  • Related Posts

  • Post Comment to Facebook

  • Download the SilverbirdTV Mobile App

  • Never Miss any Video, Subscribe now!

     
  • Latest Stories

    India's Manushi Chhillar Crowned Miss World.
    Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 7:34am
    Anxiety In Anambra As State Goes To Poll
    Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 8:09am
    Lagos carnival
    Lagos 2017 Carnival: Govt Re-brands Festival
    Friday, November 17, 2017 - 12:16pm
  •  
  • Security

    coffins
    17 November, 2017 - 13:58
    Twenty-six coffins were laid out in Salerno's Monumental Cemetery on Friday morning, watched by a military guard, local politicians,
    Train
    16 November, 2017 - 10:30
    Three people have been confirmed dead and many injured when a train derailed around Abbatoir area of Agege in Lagos This was confirmed