Nigerian chef, Hilda Effiong Bassey, popularly known as Hilda Baci, has made history, breaking the Guinness World Record for the “longest cooking marathon by an individual” after hitting the 87 hours 50 minutes mark.
This achievement has made Baci who manages a restaurant, surpass the current Guinness World Record holder on Monday morning after she started the competition on Thursday and ended on Monday morning.
The last record holder in such category was an Indian chef who made history in 2019 with 87 hours 45 minutes record uninterrupted cooking.
For Bassey her record will be in the Guinness World Record, if her effort is certified by the body. This means she will displace the current world record holder, Lata Tondon.
Interestingly, despite Baci’s cooking record, the marathon is currently ongoing at the venue of the event at Amore Gardens in Lekki, Lagos State.
Meanwhile, Baci is not the only who has been involved in this contest as her achievement has attracted a lot of support from dignitaries and celebrities during the four-day mark contest which ended on Monday morning.
Some of the dignitaries that came to support the talented chef are: President Elect, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Peter Obi’s wife, Margret Brownson Usen, and others.
The chef won the maiden edition of the Jollof Face-off Competition in 2021, pocketing a grand prize of $5000.
The Guinness Book of Records is a reference book that contains human and natural world records.
It was first published in 1955 by the Guinness Brewery in Ireland and has since become one of the world’s most well-known and frequently read reference books.
Individuals or groups must submit proof to the Guinness World Records team and go through a verification process to qualify for a world record listing.
Apart from Baci, other Nigerians that have broken the Guinness World Records recently are:
1. Gbenga Ezekiel – Record for the most skips in a minute on one leg. (February 2023)
2. Divine Ikubor aka Rema – Record for ‘Calm Down’ as the first No.1 Hit on The Official MENA Chart, the world’s first regional streaming chart. (May 2023)
3. Bose Omolayo – The heaviest para power lift by a female in the -79 kg category with 144 kg (December 2021)
4. Chukwuebuka Ezugha and Victor Richard Kipo – The most consecutive football passes with the soles (team of two). (December 2021)
5. Folashade Oluwafemiayo – The heaviest power lift by a female in the -86 kg category with 152.5 kg (December 2021)
6. Chinonso Eche – The most football headers in a prone position in one minute, which is 23. (October 2021)
7. Vincent Okezie – The most consecutive backward handsprings with a football (soccer ball) between the legs. (March 2022)
8. Haruna Abdulazeez – The most American football touches with the feet in one minute (October 2020)
9. Peter Aho – Record for six wickets for five runs in 3.4 overs against Sierra Leone. (October 2021)
10. Bayo Omoboriowo – The largest photo book, which was measured at 60.84 m² (654 ft² 87 in²). (September 2021).